- Finding peace in nature during the COVID-19 Social Distancing
- How Not to Get Sick This Winter
- Winter Deluge Health Survival
- Looking at CBD for your Dog
- KLIIN Creates a Splash!
- Start a Fitness Journey with Health Conditions
- Get Back on Track
- How to Stay Energized All Day with Natural Supplements
- 3 Yin Yoga Poses for Stress
- Mediterranean Spiced Lamb Stew with Apricots and Coriander
- Sharpen the Mind
- “TEA”RRIFICALLY Healthy Winter Gifts of Warmth
- Celeriac, Truffle, Smoked Bacon and Thyme Soup
- Make 3 Easy Meals in Mugs
- Going the Extra Mile
Yellow Lentil Soup with Vegetables
Here’s a soul-satisfying soup packed with vitamins and the goodness of vegetables. Plus the dal makes it high in protein and fiber as well. Serves 8.
1 cup yellow lentils (toor dal)
1 tsp turmeric
1 cup chopped tomato
1 cup cubed potato
1 cup sliced carrot, (0.5 cm) slices
8 green beans, cut into (2.5 cm) pieces
1⁄4 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp salt or to taste
2 tbsp oil
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 tbsp chopped garlic
1⁄2 cup chopped onion
11⁄2 cups steamed rice
1⁄3 cup cilantro, chopped
Clean and pick through lentils for any small stones and grit. Rinse several times in cold water until water is fairly clear.
Drain and transfer lentils to a large saucepan. Add 3 cups water and soak for 10 minutes. Bring to a boil, uncovered, over medium heat, skimming froth off surface. Cook, partially covered, until dal is soft and mushy, about 30 minutes. Purée in blender or using immersion blender, or whisk vigorously to batter-like consistency.
Return to pan. Stir in another 3 cups water and turmeric. Add tomato, potato, carrot, green beans, cayenne pepper and salt. Cover and return to boil over med-high heat. Reduce heat to med-low and simmer for 12-15 minutes.
Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, heat oil over med-high heat. Add cumin seeds. Sauté until cumin is fragrant and a shade darker, about 30 seconds. Add garlic and sauté for about 1 minute. Add onion and cook until golden, about 10 minutes. Pour mixture into dal and simmer, covered, until vegetables are tender, about 5 minutes.
Place 2-3 tbsp (30-45 mL) rice in each bowl. Top with dal and vegetable mixture. Garnish with cilantro. Serve with lemon wedges on the side.
Excerpted from "Easy ndian Cooking" 2nd Ed. by Suneeta Vaswani
© 2013 Robert Rose Inc. www.robertrose.ca