- Get Back on Track
- How to Stay Energized All Day with Natural Supplements
- 3 Yin Yoga Poses for Stress
- Mediterranean Spiced Lamb Stew with Apricots and Coriander
- Sharpen the Mind
- “TEA”RRIFICALLY Healthy Winter Gifts of Warmth
- Celeriac, Truffle, Smoked Bacon and Thyme Soup
- Complete 360 for Diabetes
- Make 3 Easy Meals in Mugs
- Going the Extra Mile
- Increase Athletic Performance with Ubiquinol and NADH
- 7 Things I Wish I knew When I Started Running
- Giving Kids a Back to School Boost
- This Kitchen is for Dancing
- Vegan Marinara Meatballs
Shred Me Up Salad
I love the simplicity of combining common ingredients to create a hearty, healthy dish that can be enjoyed as a snack or as a main course.
Makes 1 main-course or 2 side salads.
1⁄2 cup shredded carrot
1⁄2 cup shredded beet
1⁄2 cup finely sliced kale
1⁄4 cup shredded squash
3 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
1⁄2 tsp fine sea salt
In a bowl, toss together carrot, beet, kale and squash. Add lemon juice and salt. Toss well. Set aside for 10 minutes, until softened. Serve immediately or transfer to an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 2 days.
Substitute an equal quantity of lime juice for the lemon juice and/or an equal quantity of finely sliced chard for the kale. For a boost of protein, add 3 tbsp raw shelled hemp seeds.
I prefer to use organic sea salt. This type of salt is classified as a whole food and is said to contain many trace minerals. If salt intake is something you are concerned about, feel free to use less than called for or omit it completely.
Excerpted from Raw, Quick & Delicious! by Douglas McNish ©2013 Robert Rose Inc. www.robertrose.ca Reprinted with publisher permission.