- When Tears are Not Enough
- Fajita Steak Platter
- Walking on Sunshine
- Olive Oil & Omega-3s
- Chimichurri Potato Salad
- Granate Berry
- Cloudy with a Chance of Blurry Vision
- Experience Forest Bathing at Scandinave Spa Blue Mountain
- Sipahh Flavored Straw Turns Compostable
- 3 Trendy Summer Salads with Protein
- Identifying Lingering Balance Issues as a Result of a Brain Injury
- Baked Blueberry Banana Porridge
- The Future of Tech Devices & Healthy Shopping
- Cutting Carbs at Breakfast Can Jumpstart Weight-Loss
- Zesty Blueberry Granola Bars
Roasted Cauliflower and Parsnip Soup
My baba used to cook on the farm with a wood-fired stove and oven. She had the best garden and made everything from scratch. It was her epic meals that made me want to be a chef.
4 medium parsnips, cut into small pieces
1 head cauliflower, cut into small pieces
1 medium yellow onion, roughly chopped
1/2 cup unsalted butter, cubed
1 tbsp chopped fresh thyme
2 cups dry white wine
10 cups chicken stock, divided
1 cup whipping (35%) cream
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
1) Preheat the oven to 400°F.
2) In a roasting pan, combine parsnips, cauliflower, onion, and butter. Place in the preheated oven and roast, stirring every few minutes, until vegetables are golden brown, 25 to 30 minutes.
3) Remove from the oven and stir in thyme and wine. Let stand for 5 to 10 minutes.
4) Transfer roasted vegetables and cooking juices to a blender and add 21/2 cups chicken stock (you may need to do this in batches).
5) Blend on high speed until smooth (the hot contents can cause the lid to pop off, so be sure to hold it down tightly).
6) Transfer to a large pot over medium heat. Add remaining chicken stock. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes. Stir in cream and season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve.
Recipe by Chef Paul Rogalski co-owner Rouge & Bistro Rouge in Calgary, AB. .Photographer Jodi Pudge. Excerpted from Peter & Chris Neal’s “Goodness: Recipes & Stories” (Blakeman Books). Available on Amazon.ca.