- Sipahh Flavored Straw Turns Compostable
- 3 Trendy Summer Salads with Protein
- Identifying Lingering Balance Issues as a Result of a Brain Injury
- Baked Blueberry Banana Porridge
- The Future of Tech Devices & Healthy Shopping
- Cutting Carbs at Breakfast Can Jumpstart Weight-Loss
- Zesty Blueberry Granola Bars
- Stopping Ticks in Their Tracks
- 100 Beautiful Things
- The Triple Jump of Detoxification
- Pesto Vegetable Quiche
- A Fresh Take on Canada’s Food Guide
- The Top Tips about Dental Treatment You Should Know
- Allergies, Poor Immunity is at the Root
- Oil of Oregano Never Tasted So Good
When you’re in the mood for a vegetarian alternative, look no further than this. Portobellos are called the meat of the vegetable family. They have a firm texture and delicious taste and are wonderful with hummus and goat cheese.
3 large portobello mushroom caps, wiped (stems removed)
3 medium-sized pitas, sliced in half
3/4 cup (185 mL) Red Bell Pepper Hummus
1/2 cup (125 mL) crumbled goat cheese
On either a barbecue or a nonstick grill pan sprayed with cooking spray, grill the mushrooms over medium-high heat for 12 minutes, turning halfway or until tender and grill marked. Spray the mushrooms with vegetable spray if they look dry. Slice into thick slices.
Spread the inside of the pita halves with the hummus. Place half of the mushroom slices in each pita, sprinkle with cheese, and garnish with lettuce, tomatoes and onions.
Excerpted from "The Best of Rose Reisman" by Rose Reisman ©2013 by Rose Reisman, Whitecap Books Reprinted with publisher permission.