- Get Back on Track
- How to Stay Energized All Day with Natural Supplements
- 3 Yin Yoga Poses for Stress
- Mediterranean Spiced Lamb Stew with Apricots and Coriander
- Sharpen the Mind
- “TEA”RRIFICALLY Healthy Winter Gifts of Warmth
- Celeriac, Truffle, Smoked Bacon and Thyme Soup
- Complete 360 for Diabetes
- Make 3 Easy Meals in Mugs
- Going the Extra Mile
- Increase Athletic Performance with Ubiquinol and NADH
- 7 Things I Wish I knew When I Started Running
- Giving Kids a Back to School Boost
- This Kitchen is for Dancing
- Vegan Marinara Meatballs
Cranberry Pear Crumble Bars
These crumble bars are my tried and true dessert recipe for autumn/winter holiday potlucks — guaranteed to impress guests with their festive flavours. When baked, chopped pears melt into a heavenly, sweet layer on top of a simple dough base, studded with tart, bubbling and oozing pockets of cranberries, and topped with a crumble of nuts, oats and spices.
Yields Makes around 18 bars
- Note: You can use either 2 cups oat flour or 2 cups spelt flour in place of the combination of oat flour and almond flour in the recipe.
- FOR THE DOUGH
- 1 large very ripe banana
- ½ cup (110 ml) neutral coconut oil (pg.) - soft, at room temperature
- 1/3 cup (115 g) coconut sugar, plus 1 tablespoon
- 12 green cardamom pods - shells removed, ground, divided
- 1 cup (125 g) rolled oats - ground into flour or whole/sprouted spelt flour
- 1 cup almond flour/meal
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- Pinch sea salt
- 1 cup filtered water
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped ginger
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- FOR THE FRUIT
- 2 cups cranberries
- 2 ripe pears - cored and chopped into cubes
- ¼ cup coconut sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- FOR THE CRUMBLE
- ½ cup rolled oats
- ½ cup pecans, walnuts or almonds – chopped
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/3 amount of ground cardamom from above
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- Pinch of sea salt
- 3 tablespoons neutral coconut oil (pg.) - cold, cut into small pieces
- 1. Preheat oven to 350° F (180° C).
- 2. Place banana, coconut oil and sugar into a food processor, blend to combine until smooth. Add about ? of the amount of cardamom, flours, baking powder, baking soda and salt, and mix to combine. With the motor still running, pour in water through the funnel and process until well combined. Add ginger and vinegar, pulse to incorporate. Alternatively, you can mix all dough ingredients by hand.
- First mash the banana with a fork, then keep mixing according to the order above.
- 3. Cover a 9” x 11” (23 x 28 g) baking dish with parchment paper, extending it up the sides of the dish. Pour the dough in and distribute evenly.
- 4. Combine all fruit with coconut sugar and spices in a medium bowl. Distribute evenly on top of the dough.
- 5. Mix all the crumble ingredients, with the exception of oil, in the same bowl you used for the fruit. Work in the oil using your fingers, until all ingredients are well combined. Evenly sprinkle the topping over the fruit.
- 6. Bake for 45-50 minutes, until cranberries are bubbling through the topping and the crumble is golden in color.
- Let cool. Remove from the pan, lifting the bar by the sides of parchment paper onto a cutting board. Slice into bars of preferred size.
From “Simply Vibrant” by Anya Kassoff © 2018 by Anya Kassoff. Photographs © 2018 by Masha Davydova. Reprinted in arrangement with Roost Books, an imprint of Shambhala Publications, Inc.