- Cloudy with a Chance of Blurry Vision
- Experience Forest Bathing at Scandinave Spa Blue Mountain
- Sipahh Flavored Straw Turns Compostable
- 3 Trendy Summer Salads with Protein
- Identifying Lingering Balance Issues as a Result of a Brain Injury
- Baked Blueberry Banana Porridge
- The Future of Tech Devices & Healthy Shopping
- Cutting Carbs at Breakfast Can Jumpstart Weight-Loss
- Zesty Blueberry Granola Bars
- Stopping Ticks in Their Tracks
- 100 Beautiful Things
- The Triple Jump of Detoxification
- Pesto Vegetable Quiche
- A Fresh Take on Canada’s Food Guide
- The Top Tips about Dental Treatment You Should Know
Coolest Summer Refreshers
This version of lemonade is both delicious and thirst-quenching. In late spring, when flats of
sun-ripened strawberries are at their lowest price, I buy several at a time and turn them all into a lemonade concentrate. It keeps in the freezer until Mateo’s February birthday, when I shake it up with ice and pour strawberry lemonade around the table. It is his absolute favourite beverage, and what are birthdays for if not favourites?
Makes 12 cups (2.8 L) lemonade
4 cups (1 L) sliced ripe strawberries
1/2 cup (125 mL) raw cane sugar
Lime juice is a fantastic substitute for the lemon, and Strawberry Limeade is every bit as tasty.
1. In a large bowl, toss sliced strawberries with sugar and let sit at room temperature while you juice the lemons. Juice the lemons and strain the juice into a measuring cup; you should have 1 cup (250 mL).
2. In a blender, whiz together macerated berries and their juice with lemon juice. This is your lemonade concentrate.
3. To serve: Combine 1 part lemonade concentrate with 2 parts water. Mix well, add several ice cubes and serve at once.
The lemonade concentrate will keep,
refrigerated, for up to 3 days or in the freezer for up to 1 year.
Rosy Grapefruit & Pomegranate Spritzers
I never tire of the sweet and tart winter beverage options, and this pomegranate-grapefruit combination is one of my favorites. Freshly squeezed grapefruit juice makes for an exceptional sip and is well worth the effort.
3 cups (750 mL) red grapefruit juice
2 cups (500 mL) pomegranate juice
2 cups (500 mL) sparkling water or seltzer
1 red grapefruit, scrubbed and sliced
Add a splash of rosé wine, Prosecco, gin or Campari to the glasses—just not all four at once!
1. In a large pitcher or jar, combine grapefruit juice, pomegranate juice and 1 cup (250 mL) ice. Top up with sparkling water and stir well.
2. Pour into glasses and garnish with a slice of grapefruit. Serve at once.
From "Brown Eggs and Jam Jars" by Aimée Wimbush-Bourque.Copyright © Aimée
Wimbush-Bourque, 2015. Reprinted by permission of Penguin Canada, a division of Penguin
Random House Canada Limited. Photography credit: Tim and Angela Chin.
Cucumber, Honeydew, Agua Fresca
After a certain tree fell on our garden one summer, the cucumber was the only vine to survive. It bounced back and thrived. Making agua fresca is a great way to infuse summer drinks with seasonal flavours.
Makes 6 cups (1.5 L)
1 ripe honeydew melon
2 cucumbers, washed
1/4 cup (60 mL) lime juice
(about 3 limes)
Pinch of salt
2 tablespoons (30 mL) liquid honey
Agua may be prepared ahead without the ice and kept refrigerated for up to 6 hours. Just before serving, add ice and stir well.
1. Slice honeydew in half lengthwise and remove the seeds. Cut into 1-inch (2.5 cm) slices, then remove the skin with a paring knife. Trim ends from cucumbers and coarsely chop.
2. Combine melon and cucumber in a blender and blend until smooth. Pour into a fine-mesh sieve or cheesecloth and let drain for at least half an hour. Discard the pulp. You should have about 4 cups (1L) of bright green juice.
3. Pour the juice into a pitcher and add the lime juice, salt, 2 cups (500 mL) of water and 2 cups (500 mL) of ice. Stir well. Taste, and add honey for sweetness if desired. Serve garnished with a few slices of cucumber and lime.
From "Brown Eggs and Jam Jars" by Aimée Wimbush-Bourque.Copyright © Aimée Wimbush-Bourque, 2015. Reprinted by permission of Penguin Canada, a division of Penguin Random House Canada Limited.