- The Anticancer Lifestyle Program Awarded Nutrition Accreditation
- Rediscover the Authentic Magic Bag: A Comforting, Therapeutic Classic
- Winter Thriving
- Warming Winter Entrées
- Before a Lump Develops
- Learn to Cook Healthy & Holistic Food
- Birthday Crepe Cake
- 3 Trendy Summer Salads with Protein
- 5 Causes of Chronic Inflammation and How to Prevent Them
- Be UTI-free with Utiva
- The Easy Way to Grow Your Own Food
- Grow Your Own Tomatoes
- Fresh Herbs for the Spring
- How to Grow Sprouts
- Top 5 Spring Superfoods
Clinical Testing Shows Innotech’s Colflex is Effective Against Cold and Flu Bacteria
Researchers at the University of Manitoba have proven a natural health product manufactured in Canada may help fight bacteria that cause cold-and-flu-like symptoms. It quickly inhibits the growth of four common pathogens in vitro, and clinical testing shows no safety concerns or side effects.
The Richardson Centre for Functional Foods and Nutraceuticals at the U of M was contracted by Innotech Nutrition to test the safety and effectiveness of its Colflex throat spray, which fights coughs and supports immune function.
“In the lab, we found this product halted the incubation of staph, strep, e-coli and salmonella bacteria in less than 30 minutes,” says Dr. Peter Jones, Canada Research Chair in Functional Foods and Nutrition and Director of the Richardson Centre. “Moreover, our double-blind, randomized clinical trial showed Colflex had no effect on the glucose levels (blood sugar), lipids (cholesterol), or liver enzymes of people who took the supplement over a period of four weeks.”
“There are more than 25,000 natural health products sold in Canada, with many different claims of benefits, but they are seldom put to the test,” says Wayne Friesen, CEO of Innotech. “Customers have told us that Colflex is very effective, but we wanted definitive proof that it not only works but is very safe. Testing at the Richardson Centre confirmed that.”
“Antibiotic resistance due to the overuse of antibiotics has become a well-known problem,” Friesen adds. “People looking for effective natural ways to support their health and immune function may wish to try Colflex oral spray, along with common sense practices such as plenty of rest.”
Colflex is a natural ingredient throat spray containing essential spice oils of oregano, thyme, spearmint and lemon. Sweetened with natural stevia, it is sold as a convenient pocket-sized spray in health food stores and select pharmacies across Canada.
“Most colds and flu incubate in the back of the throat,” says Jones. “By coating your throat with antiseptic oils, you may prevent harmful bacteria from growing. Our test results suggest that carrying Colflex may be beneficial.”
- Innotech Nutrition supplies approximately 20 natural health products to health food stores across Canada.
- The Richardson Centre for Functional Foods and Nutraceuticals leads research to improve health and nutrition and support the development of a functional food industry in Western Canada.
- According to the Canadian Healthcare Influenza Immunization Network (2012), about 1.5 million workdays are lost in Canada annually because of the flu, resulting in healthcare costs and lost productivity equalling $1 billion.
- The cold is the most commonly occurring illness in humans. In 2003, the Archives of Internal Medicine suggested the common cold costs the Canadian economy roughly $6 billion a year. It indicated that Canadians get about 1.5 colds per person per year.
Are the shorter days and colder weather leaving you feeling...
- Posted November 1, 2020
The Anticancer Lifestyle Program Awarded Nutrition Accreditation
The Anticancer Lifestyle Program (ACLP) has been welcomed as an...
- Posted November 13, 2020
Rediscover the Authentic Magic Bag: A Comforting, Therapeutic Classic
Seeking relief from all these months of uncertainty? Looking to...
- Posted November 3, 2020
Warming Winter Entrées
The rich flavours of browned beef only get better when...
- Posted November 1, 2020
Before a Lump Develops
The statistics today are alarming: one in eight women will...
- Posted October 25, 2020
Learn to Cook Healthy & Holistic Food
Holistic Culinary Program now offered by CSNN Toronto East Branch...
- Posted August 31, 2020
Birthday Crepe Cake
Add a little Flourish to your next birthday with this...
- Posted July 16, 2020