- Get Back on Track
- How to Stay Energized All Day with Natural Supplements
- 3 Yin Yoga Poses for Stress
- Mediterranean Spiced Lamb Stew with Apricots and Coriander
- Sharpen the Mind
- “TEA”RRIFICALLY Healthy Winter Gifts of Warmth
- Celeriac, Truffle, Smoked Bacon and Thyme Soup
- Make 3 Easy Meals in Mugs
- Going the Extra Mile
- Increase Athletic Performance with Ubiquinol and NADH
- 7 Things I Wish I knew When I Started Running
- Giving Kids a Back to School Boost
- This Kitchen is for Dancing
- Vegan Marinara Meatballs
- Cauliflower Turmeric Soup
Butter Chicken with Spiced Cashews
Chandra Ram shares her Butter Chicken with Spiced Cashews recipe from her newly released cookbook “The Complete Indian Instant Pot®.”
This recipe requires an Instant Pot®.
- 2 tablespoons ghee or vegetable oil
- 2 cups finely diced onions
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- ½ teaspoon ground turmeric
- 3 teaspoons Kashmiri chili powder, divided
- 1 teaspoon Garam Masala, store-bought
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons chipotle chiles in adobo sauce, puréed or finely chopped
- 1 cup water
- 1 can diced tomatoes (with juice)
- 2 pounds (1 kg) boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into 2-inch (5 cm) pieces
- ½ cup raw cashew pieces
- ¾ cup heavy or whipping (35%) cream
- ½ cup chopped fresh cilantro, divided
- Using the Sauté function on High, heat the ghee in the inner pot for about 1 minute, until shimmering. Add the onions and salt; cook, stirring occasionally, for about 4 minutes, until the onions are softened. Add the ginger, garlic, turmeric, 2 teaspoons (10 mL) chili powder, garam masala and tomato paste; cook, stirring constantly, for about 1 minute, until fragrant. Stir in the chipotles in adobo sauce, water, tomatoes (with juice) and chicken.
- Secure the lid and cook on high pressure for 8 minutes. Meanwhile, toast the cashews in a small, dry skillet over medium heat, for 3 minutes, tossing the pan frequently, until lightly browned.
- Transfer to a medium bowl. Add the remaining 1 teaspoon (5 mL) chili powder and toss to coat. Set aside.
- Once the chicken is cooked, let the pressure release naturally for 10 minutes, then quick-release the remaining pressure.
- Remove the lid. If the sauce is watery, use the Sauté function on High to simmer the mixture for 5 minutes, until the sauce is reduced to the desired consistency. Stir in the cream and 1/4 cup (60 mL) cilantro. Transfer the chicken and sauce to a serving dish, garnish with the remaining cilantro and cashews and serve.
• Requires an Instant Pot®
Courtesy of The Complete Indian Instant Pot® Cookbook by Chandra Ram © 2018 www.robertrose.ca Reprinted with permission. Available where books are sold. Photo credit: Galdones Photography