- 5 Causes of Chronic Inflammation and How to Prevent Them
- Be UTI-free with Utiva
- The Easy Way to Grow Your Own Food
- Grow Your Own Tomatoes
- Fresh Herbs for the Spring
- How to Grow Sprouts
- Top 5 Spring Superfoods
- Psst. Juicy Juicing Secrets
- Finding peace in nature during the COVID-19 Social Distancing
- 6 Herbs and Foods for Gentle Detox
- How Not to Get Sick This Winter
- Winter Deluge Health Survival
- Looking at CBD for your Dog
- KLIIN Creates a Splash!
- Start a Fitness Journey with Health Conditions
The Top 5 Paraben-Free Skincare Products for Spring
Ah, spring cleaning… that most satisfying time of the year when we clean out the clutter at home and our personal lives, whether it’s our closets, garage, or maybe even our email inbox. Spring cleaning should also apply to our skincare regimen, which starts with one simple mantra: It’s time to say “Peace out” to parabens and other harmful ingredients in skincare products.
Ingredients to Avoid
Parabens are the most widely used chemicals that prolong the shelf life of various makeup, hair care, and yes, even your favorite skincare products. Sulfates act like parabens in that they are also designed to prevent bacteria and fungi from growing in cosmetic products (among other commonly used household items).
Think of it this way, there’s an increasing awareness for avoiding food products that are loaded with preservatives as well. Consumers should keep this in mind when they are shopping around for cleansers, moisturizers, serums, and other body care products that contain parabens and other more harmful ingredients. While parabens have been known to cause skin allergies and irritations, there are even more toxic ingredients found in skincare products that have been linked to cancer, such as phthalates and formaldehyde.
The FDA continues to study the health risks related to parabens and regulating the industry to ensure that consumers are not mislead into buying products that may contain ingredients such as methylparaben, propylparaben, and butylparaben.
The creators of natural beauty and skincare products are aware of what consumers are looking for when they are shopping for these items. That’s why common to find any natural product label that highlights what is NOT included in their products or listing what types of harmful ingredients their line is free of.
The best way to keep parabens away from your skin is to shop for certified organic brands at your favorite beauty and health food stores. Here are five natural cosmetics and skincare brands to stock up on this spring.
- DERMA E – Among the leading and most trusted natural skincare brands is DERMA E. The Southern California-based company has been around for over 30 years and all their products are 100% vegan and GMO free. DERMA E’s latest Vitamin C line is ideal for all skin types and helps to brighten skin, and reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
- Mineral Fusion – The number one natural cosmetic brand Mineral Fusion promises to give you a healthy glow with their mineral based products. Mineral Fusion line is proudly made in the USA, and is free of gluten, parabens, and synthetic fragrances.
- Pacifica – The colorful packaging of this brand is enough to make you spot them at any beauty or drugstore, but what’s more impressive is that they use natural ingredients and, like DERMA E, is vegan and cruelty-free.
- Vapour – The Vapour Organic Beauty line is a favorite amongst editors and gurus. Their unique formula uses plant essences and other pure ingredients found in nature.
- Earth Tu Face – The name says it all with this botanical beauty brand based in California.