- Run Like a Pro with Interval Fitness TrainingPosted 1 week ago
- Cleanse and Recleanse, Detox for Toxic OverloadPosted 1 week ago
- What You Don’t Know Can Cause a Heart AttackPosted 3 weeks ago
- Shred Me Up SaladPosted 4 weeks ago
- Healthy Detox, 8 Steps Towards RebalancingPosted 4 weeks ago
- Joyous Juices with Joy McCarthyPosted 1 month ago
- Win a ReCleanse 7-Day Herbal Detox KitPosted 1 month ago
- Living for Breast HealthPosted 1 month ago
- Win 1 of 3 FloateasPosted 1 month ago
- 100 Places to Visit in Canada This SummerPosted 1 month ago
Appetizers for All: Smoked Salmon and Grits
These savory squares are very easy to make and deliciously different. They are great finished with a small dollop of sour cream and a sprinkling of chives, as the recipe calls for. If you’re looking for another flavour sensation, try topping each square with diced roasted red peppers, tossed in olive oil.
• 8-inch (20 cm) square pan, lightly greased
11⁄2 cups chicken or vegetable stock
1⁄2 tsp salt or to taste
1⁄2 cup white or yellow stone-ground corn grits
1⁄4 cup heavy or whipping (35%) cream
2 tbsp unsalted butter
1 egg, beaten
1 tsp finely grated lemon zest
2 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
1⁄2 tsp hot paprika
4 oz smoked salmon, diced
Finely snipped chives
In a saucepan over medium heat, bring stock and salt to a rapid boil. Add grits in a steady steam and cook, stirring frequently, until smoothly integrated. Stir in cream. Cover, reduce heat to low and simmer gently, stirring occasionally, until grits are soft and creamy, about 40 minutes. Remove from heat.
Add butter and egg and stir well with a wooden spoon. Add lemon zest, lemon juice and paprika and stir well. Stir in smoked salmon. Spread evenly in prepared pan and let cool.
Cut into 1-inch (2.5 cm) squares and using an inverted spatula remove from pan. Serve at room temperature, topped with a small dollop of sour cream and garnished with chives.
If you don’t want to stir your grits frequently, use a nonstick saucepan. An occasional stir will be fine so long as the heat is low. If you can’t find stone-ground grits, use coarse stone-ground cornmeal. Always check dairy products such as whipping cream and sour cream to make sure they are gluten-free.
Excerpted from "The Complete Gluten-Free Whole Grains Cookbook" by Judith Finlayson
©2013 www.robertrose.ca Reprinted with publisher permission
For more gluten-free appetizing ideas try: