- Women Leaders in Natural HealthPosted 5 days ago
- Simple Changes for Cancer PreventionPosted 6 days ago
- 6 Herbs and Foods for Gentle DetoxPosted 1 week ago
- There’s Nothing Fishy About the Health Benefits of Omega-3sPosted 1 week ago
- A Bean Bonanza of 10 Amazing RecipesPosted 2 weeks ago
- Moroccan Hummus with Lots of Veggie DippersPosted 2 weeks ago
- Spring Cleaning from Top to ToePosted 3 weeks ago
- Magnesium, the Missing Link Essential for HealthPosted 3 weeks ago
- Just Bean’ HealthyPosted 3 weeks ago
- The A, B, C and Double D’s of Healthy BreastsPosted 4 weeks ago
- Provençale Vegetable Soup with Almond Basil PestoPosted 4 weeks ago
- The Top 5 Paraben-Free Skincare Products for SpringPosted 2 months ago
- Study finds Vitamin D effective for reducing flu and coldsPosted 2 months ago
- Are You Missing Something Essential?Posted 2 months ago
- Finding Focus with Adult ADD and ADHDPosted 3 months ago
Appetizers for All: Smoked Salmon and Grits
These savory squares are very easy to make and deliciously different. They are great finished with a small dollop of sour cream and a sprinkling of chives, as the recipe calls for. If you’re looking for another flavour sensation, try topping each square with diced roasted red peppers, tossed in olive oil.
• 8-inch (20 cm) square pan, lightly greased
11⁄2 cups chicken or vegetable stock
1⁄2 tsp salt or to taste
1⁄2 cup white or yellow stone-ground corn grits
1⁄4 cup heavy or whipping (35%) cream
2 tbsp unsalted butter
1 egg, beaten
1 tsp finely grated lemon zest
2 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
1⁄2 tsp hot paprika
4 oz smoked salmon, diced
Finely snipped chives
In a saucepan over medium heat, bring stock and salt to a rapid boil. Add grits in a steady steam and cook, stirring frequently, until smoothly integrated. Stir in cream. Cover, reduce heat to low and simmer gently, stirring occasionally, until grits are soft and creamy, about 40 minutes. Remove from heat.
Add butter and egg and stir well with a wooden spoon. Add lemon zest, lemon juice and paprika and stir well. Stir in smoked salmon. Spread evenly in prepared pan and let cool.
Cut into 1-inch (2.5 cm) squares and using an inverted spatula remove from pan. Serve at room temperature, topped with a small dollop of sour cream and garnished with chives.
If you don’t want to stir your grits frequently, use a nonstick saucepan. An occasional stir will be fine so long as the heat is low. If you can’t find stone-ground grits, use coarse stone-ground cornmeal. Always check dairy products such as whipping cream and sour cream to make sure they are gluten-free.
Excerpted from "The Complete Gluten-Free Whole Grains Cookbook" by Judith Finlayson
©2013 www.robertrose.ca Reprinted with publisher permission
For more gluten-free appetizing ideas try: